Community Resources

Community Resources & Rental/Utility Assistance Guide

The City of Fairview knows that life can be difficult. Whether it’s rising prices due to inflation, an unplanned medical bill, or a period without work, we can all use a helping hand from time to time to get us through. But finding available assistance programs can be difficult. That’s why we have put together the following list of programs* to help Fairview residents access different types of financial resources.

For additional information, guidance, or application assistance please contact Nate Midgley by emailing or by calling (503) 674-6236.

*Note: the following list is intended to be a companion to the Fairview Community Resource Guide, which includes additional resources and may be found here.


Typically, the fastest way to get information and application materials for available resources in the greater Portland area is by calling 211 or visiting the website. Many of the programs listed below direct interested citizens to 211 for application eligibility information, and the 211 operators are knowledgeable about the full list of available assistance programs in the area.

Rental and Housing Assistance

If you’re struggling with rent or mortgage payments, assistance is available and the fastest way to access these services is to call 211.

In addition, Fairview residents may also be able to access assistance by contacting the following nonprofits directly:

  • Self Enhancement Inc. (SEI): SEI provides rental assistance on a case-by-case basis. Households struggling to pay rent should call the SEI Short Term Rent Assistance Line at (503) 713-5590 to determine whether or not their situation is eligible for assistance. 
  • El Programo Hispano Eviction Prevention: provides assistance—when funding is available—with past due rent payments to households at or below 80% of the area median income who can demonstrate risk of experiencing homelessness or are able to demonstrate a reduction in household income due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Call (503) 489-6809 to learn more
  • St. Vincent De Paul Emergency Rent Assistance: provides limited, one-time rental payment assistance determined on a case-by-case basis. If found eligible, assistance may be limited to the last $200-$300 in order to serve as many people as possible. Call (503) 235-8431 to learn more.

Phone and Internet Assistance

Oregon Lifelinea federal and state program that provides a phone bill discount of up $15.25 per month OR a broadband billOR Lifeline discount of up to $19.25 per month OR free cell phone and data service for Oregon households who have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines or participate in certain federal assistance programs (see chart on right), such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, Supplemental Security Income, the Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit, or certain Tribal Programs.

To apply visit the Oregon Lifeline website, call (800) 848-4442 or TTY (800) 648-3458.

Affordable Connectivity Program: a federal benefit program that provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward internet service for households whose income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (see chart below right), or if a member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:household

  • Participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program (Section 8 Vouchers), Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA)/202/811, Public Housing, SSI, WIC, or Lifeline;
  • Participates in the Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program, including at U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision schools. (Note: the Reynolds School District participates in this program and as such every Fairview household that has a child enrolled in this district is eligible to receive this discount)
  • Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
  • Participates in Tribal specific programs, such as Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal TANF, Affordable Housing Programs for American Indians, Alaska Natives or Native Hawaiians, or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations; or
  • Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider's existing low-income internet program. 

There are two steps to enroll:

  1. Go to to submit an application or print out a mail-in application.
  2. Contact your preferred participating provider to select a plan and have the discount applied to your bill.

Some providers may have an alternative application that they will ask you to complete. Eligible households must both apply for the program and contact a participating provider to select a service plan.

Water/Sewer & Energy Assistance

There are several water/sewer and energy assistance programs that are either operated by the state or are mandated by thewater state and administered by the utility providers. Because of this common denominator they all share the same income eligibility requirements, which are presented on the table to the right.

State Programs:

  • Low-Income Household Water Assistance (LIHWA): LIHWA provides low-income households with assistance for their drinking water and wastewater services costs. The program is mandated by the State of Oregon and administered by Multnomah County through six nonprofit agencies. The best way to get the latest information about energy services, including LIHWA, is to contact 211
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP): LIHEAP provides low-income Oregonians assistance with their home energy expenses. The LIHEAP program includes bill payment assistance, energy education, case management, and home weatherization services. The program is mandated by the State of Oregon and administered by Multnomah County through six nonprofit agencies. The best way to get the latest information about energy services, including LIHWA, is to contact 211
  • Oregon Energy Assistance Program (OEAP): OEAP is a low-income electric bill payment assistance program for customers of Pacific Power and Portland General Electric in danger of having their electricity service disconnected due to limited income. The program is mandated by the State of Oregon and administered by Multnomah County through six nonprofit agencies. The best way to get the latest information about energy services, including LIHWA, is to contact 211.

Utility Provider Programs:

Food Assistance

There are several ways to get free or discounted food assistance, including:

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): provides monthly food benefits to households that fall at or below 130% of the federal poverty line. The benefit amount depends on a households size, income, and other factors.
  • East County Food Pantry: provides East County residents with food every Saturday morning. Income requirements are relatively lax—for example, a four person household making $90,000 meets eligibility requirements.
  • Oregon Food Bank Food Finder: provides a comprehensive list of available food pantries and free food markets in the area. Many of these do not require proof of identification or income and are open to the public. 

Other Assistance

For other types of assistance, including health & wellness, employment, legal, and mental health resources please see the City’s Community Resource Guide.

You can also call 211 or visit the website. Additional resources may be available via Rose City Resource which is accessible here.